Banksman and Slinger Training Stage 1
The course provides information on the safe and correct use of lifting equipment and accessories and best practice to promote a safer environment for persons involved. The course is to OPITO-approved standards.
The course is a mix of theory and practical with a bias towards practical exercises. Delegates are evaluated by means of an examination.
The syllabus designed to ensure that on completion of training the delegates will be able to:
- Identify common unsafe practices and probable consequences
- Understand lift planning
- Relate to crane lifting related incidents
- Understand relevant legislation applicable to lifting operations
- Understand basic functions of a crane
- Understand crane hand and radio signals
- Understand lifting operation risk assessment
- Understand responsibilities of a banksman/slinger
- Understand safe and correct methods of slinging loads, correct use and care of equipment (includes pre-use examination of equipment and identification of defects)
Personnel wishing to be involved with the slinging of loads and signalling of cranes. It is also beneficial to offshore line management and other personnel with a responsibility for safe crane lifting operations.
An OPITO-approved certificate will be issued on successful completion of the course.
Stage 1 certificate is valid for two years, during which time the Stage 2 logbook must be completed.
Held at Petrofac training Services, Forties Road, Montrose.
Items to bring
PPE - safety boots, coveralls, gloves, warm/wet weather clothing and hard hat. Photographic ID.
All delegates will be asked to complete a medical questionnaire prior to course commencement.
Course run fortnightly.
Requisite training for
Crane Op, Welder, Driller, Assist Driller, Derrickman, Floorman, Electrician, Mechanic, Barge Engineer, HSE Tech